Thursday, October 23, 2014

Finding the Message in Music

Let it be the joy of each new sunrise
Or the moment when a day dies
I surrender without reservation
No explanations
No questions why
I take it to me and let it pass through me
Yes, I let the music speak
I let the music speak
--ABBA,
I Let the Music Speak


  Music has always been a big part of my life.  It speaks to me.  It's like guidance and light to my soul.  It connects me to the parts of me that are creative and growing.  Music strengthens the parts of me that need support.  The knowing that others resonate with my deepest parts, fills me with joy.  Music always seems to call me out.  Driving home the messages that are echoed in my soul.  When I hear a song that touches me, I can seemingly listen to it endlessly.  Until, it seeps into my psyche and I have integrated the lessons it has for me.  
  Music is teaching.  It is empowering.  Even music that is popculture oriented, such as Madonna, Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, and Michael Buble, can hold an empowering message.  Have you ever listened to your favorite song and actually thought about why you like it?  How does it speak to you? Which of your parts is it addressing? 
  I feel that when I know which of my Selves is being addressed, I can then find opportunities for growth and reflection.  I remember the first time I heard Born This Way, by Lady Gaga.  It really made me stop and think about all of the ways I talk to myself.  All of the things that society or other people say about who I am or how I should be in the world.  The empowering part of that song for me is the thought that we are created perfect.  That there is nothing wrong with loving all the parts of yourself because we are all beautiful in our own way.
"There's nothing wrong with loving who you are"
she said, "Cause he made you perfect, Babe"

That made me think.  No matter how you believe you came to be, you get what you are born with.  Don't let others define you. That is a powerful message that resonates not only with me but with countless others.  So, through this one song we can all come together and celebrate and honor who we are and how we BE in the world.  
  So no matter what you are experiencing at any given moment in your life, remember there are others out there who feel and have felt it too.  I never feel alone when I have music.  It always teaches me something.
  So, I say let the music speak.  It might just be the message your soul needs.




No comments:

Post a Comment